Recycled silk lace shawl
Drunken Daisy Stitch Lace Shawl-
Gauge isn't a big deal here. I got my recycled silk from EBay, and a bunch of sellers sell stuff that will give you massively different thicknesses/amounts of twist/gauge.It's a shawl, so, if you get big or small, no big deal. I used most of 500 grams of silk for this.
I used size 13 needles
Now, I worked in Daisy stitch; the basic method of which is
1 (RS): Knit
2 (WS): k1, *(in next 3 stitches, p3tog without dropping them from the left needle, yo, p3tog again), k1*. Repeat from * to * across row.
Row 4: k1, p1, k1 *(in next 3 stitches, p3tog without dropping them from the left needle, yo, p3tog again), k1* Repeat from * to * across row, end p1, k1.
The shawl pattern:
CO 5 stitches
ROW 1: (WS)slip 1, YO, work daisy (P3tog without dropping, yo, p3tog again in same stitches), knit 1
ROW 2: (RS) Slip 1, YO, knit to last two stitches, Knit the YO from previous row TBL, knit 1. You'll do row 2 for all your RS rows.
ROW 3: Sl 1, YO, work in daisy stitch (starting from the beginning of the instructions, not centering over the previous row) to last 2 stitches, P the YO from previous row TBL, Knit 1 Repeat row 3 for all WS rows.
Just starting from the beginning of the stitch pattern instructions instead of carefully making sure that all of your daisies line up exactly will get you daisies that are staggered somewhat. I liked that look, though the stitch pattern really shows very little in the sari silk, it sort of looks like snarls. Plus, the off-brand silk came apart executing the P3togs at times. I would probably do it in a different yarn next time. I liked the idea of the deconstructed look of the silk with the staggered daisies, but it didn't work out as well as hoped. If you wanted to do it keeping them nice and straight, just keep all the extra stitches in ribbing on WS, knit on RS, until you have enough for another full multiple.
The other thing you might want to do is crochet around all the edges. The shawl did stretch out terribly the first time I wore it, it ended up being a VERY narrow triangle, so I re-blocked it and crocheted around the edges.